Student Senate election: Vice President of Student Life

Executive elections for the 30th session of Drake Student Senate have begun. Students will get a chance to elect four candidates to the four executive positions: Student Body Treasurer, Vice President of Student Life, Vice President of Student Activities and Student Body President.

Here are the candidates who have announced their candidacy for Vice President of Student Life:

Kevin Kane is a sophomore Elementary Education major.

VPSL candidate_ Kevin Kane11949340_878735705509684_5076686546955272559_n (1)

[box]”I’m motivated to run for this position primarily because of the impact Drake has had on who I am. I had never been someone who felt a great deal of pride in the institutions or organizations I was a part of. I wasn’t the type of person who led cheers at high school football games or got excited for pep fests – the schools I went to were simply places I went to learn. However, since I’ve been at Drake I’ve felt a renewed sense of pride. Over the past two years – as cliché as it sounds – Drake has truly become my home. I’m running for this position because I want to ensure that all Drake students feel the sense of community and comradery that I’ve come to expect from this University.”[/box]

Russell White is a sophomore Politics and International Relations double major.

VPSL candidate_RussellWhite

[box]”I decided to run for this office because I genuinely care for this university and I want to see it stick my its statements for change and by its vision and goals. I want to graduate from Drake University in 2018 leaving it a better institution than how it was whenever I enrolled. I don’t expect to get anything out of this, because I am not running so that I can have a new title; I am running because I plan to work hard in the position so that Student Senate becomes a better and more accountable organization to the student body. We need student leaders, not student politicians.”[/box]