Drake’s late PK goal leads to 1-1 double OT tie

Photo: File photo

Bulldogs by nature are resistant to pain, so when the women’s soccer team dropped down by one last Friday at Wyoming, Drake dug deep and tied the game in the 87th minute on a Brittany Schuling penalty kick. Both teams could not find the back of the net in two overtime periods, and the Bulldogs and Cowgirls tied 1-1.

“I’m proud of our effort tonight,” head coach Lindsey Horner said in a Drake athletics press release. “To go on the road and play at over 7,000 feet and put away the equalizer with four minutes on the clock says a lot about our team’s character. The goals haven’t come easy for us thus far, but we keep putting ourselves in the right position and that’s the mentality we need to have.”

The sophomore Schuling delivered the equalizing goal on a penalty kick after senior Danielle Figliola was tackled in the penalty box.

Just as instrumental in the draw was sophomore goalkeeper Kalena Litch, who only allowed one goal to reach the back of the net in the five shots Wyoming put on goal. Litch started her 26th game of her career last Friday and continued to put up remarkable numbers. Heading into the game, she has saved 87 percent of shots on goal this season, good for 42nd in the nation.

Horner was satisfied with the total team effort.

“We came out and controlled the first 30 minutes in terms of possession and did a good job of connecting through midfield, but weren’t fully prepared once we broke pressure to go to goal,” Horner said in the same press release. “Wyoming picked up the pressure in the last 10 minutes of the first half and made adjustments in the second half that made it harder for us to keep the ball. Their goal against us was a very good goal. We responded and had them on their heels for the last 10 minutes of the second half.”

Wyoming’s Sheree Small scored in the 63rd minute to take the lead. The Bulldogs had a couple of first half opportunities, when junior Laura Moklestad’s header ricocheted off the crossbar in the 21st minute. In the 24th minute, Figliola could not convert in a one-on-one opportunity against the Wyoming keeper.

The Bulldogs (2-3-3) took on the Northern Colorado Bears (2-5-1) yesterday in the third game of a five-game road stretch. Results for that match were not available for this issue of The Times-Delphic. Details will be available in Thursday’s issue.