Ballivian breaks into national poll

The reigning Missouri Valley Player of the Year has splashed onto the national scene. Senior Mauricio Ballivian is ranked No. 122 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association national singles rankings. It’s the first national singles ranking of Ballivian’s career, and he is the only player representing the MVC in the latest polls.

Ballivian was ranked No. 39 by the ITA in doubles at one point last year with junior teammate Cesar Bracho, and in the latest polls Ballivian and sophomore Anis Ghorbel are ranked No. 80. This is the first career national ranking for Ghorbel. The duo is also the lone doubles representative from the MVC.

Every week during the season, the ITA ranks the top 125 singles players in the nation and the top 80 doubles combinations for Division I. The rankings are based on a computer formula based on wins, losses and strength of the opponent. Player reputations and performances from previous seasons are not taken into consideration.

Don’t miss your chance to check out one of Drake’s all-time great players this Saturday. The Bulldogs host UIC and Graceland at the Roger Knapp Tennis