Meet the Presidents

More than 100 student leaders gathered Jan. 20 in Bulldog Theater for the Student Organizational Presidential Summit. The event, hosted by Student Life, gave the leaders of campus organizations a chance to mingle, talk and participate in a program called “Ten Tools for Building Your Event.” Those attending also received $15 vouchers from Sodexo catering to use at events hosted by their organizations.

Dipale Patel
Drake University dRAAStic
(North Indian RAAS team)
Time on campus: since spring 2010
What they do: Promote and raise awareness of dance and help Indian students and the Drake community connect to the Indian culture
Up next: Performance on Jan. 29 at the ISA International Show and a possible henna tatto fundraiser event
“You don’t have to be Indian, you just have to want to dance, learn and expand cultures.”
John Maher
Drake Curling Club
Time on campus: since May 2010
What they do: Introduce students to the sport of curling, and give them opportunities to learn, participate and compete.
Up next: Open house in mid- to late February and nationals in Chicago the first weekend of March
“Curling is an addicting sport that once you try it, you’ll be hooked on. It’s very different from most sports because people with any ability, skill or experience level can enjoy it.”
Alex Roth
Respect For Life
Time on campus: at least five years
What they do: Raise awareness and educate students about issues concerning the dignity of life at all stages and the quality of life in the community
Up next: Possible speaker coming later in the semester and an awareness event on Valentine’s Day
“We are a welcoming environment to express and explore views and opinions that relate to different topics related to life issues.”

Jenny Koska
Drake Environmental Action League
Time on campus: since mid-90s, but more active in the last three years
What they do: Promote environmental education on campus and take part in environmental advocacy
Up next: March event “Earth Jam” about supporting local bands and businesses and “Recycle the Love” on Valentine’s Day discussing safe sex and overpopulation
“DEAL is a laid-back organization that is extremely active in promoting environmental action on campus and in the environment.”
Erin Hogan
Colleges Against Cancer
Time on campus: six years
What they do: Raise cancer awareness and work to raise money for research and support
Up next: Relay for Life March 25-26 in the Knapp Center
“Cancer touches everyone in one way or another and Colleges Against Cancer is a good way to start making a difference while you’re in college. It’s fun, helpful and a good use of time.”
Lucca Wang
Visual Arts Association of Drake (VAAD)
Time on campus: since fall 2010
What they do: Encourage professional development of students studying art and create visibility and appreciation of the arts on campus and in the community.
Up next: Thursday, January 27 6 p.m. FAC 255 Cat Rocketship, a Drake alumna and local professional artist, presents “10 Things.” In February: Friday, February 4 at 7 p.m. in FAC 336 VAAD Friday Film Series: Jean-Michel Basquiat and Friday, February 18 at 7 p.m. FAC 336 VAAD Friday Film Series: Corpse Bride (written by John August, Drake alumnus).
“Creative thought leads to innovation.”

View Comments (1)