Women’s basketball welcomes new sister to Bulldog family

Column by Carly Grenfell

Carly GrenfellIt’s been a sentimental few days. In fact, I don’t even know where to begin.

This past Sunday, our team officially welcomed our newest member, Audrey Rumage.

Thanks to Team IMPACT, a non-profit organization that pairs up children with life threatening diseases to college athletic teams, this was all possible.

I am consistently blown away with this organization’s mission and how they make a difference across the entire country. Not only in the lives of children, but student-athletes as well.

It’s nearly 24 hours after Audrey’s draft day, and my heart is still ready to explode out of my chest.

I hyped up the day so much to my teammates and had them just as excited as I was.

But it’s safe to say that meeting the Rumage family exceeded our expectations, and then some.

Being on the other end, the end that has heard their story, but not walked in their shoes, was more powerful than anything we’ve ever experienced.

It was an emotional day, no doubt. But that is what made it so incredible.

It’s simple acts of kindness that can truly be life changing.

That is why our team has bought in to the idea of Team IMPACT. To give an innocent child hope. To be mentors. To set aside the hardships we face as athletes and give back to someone who has been through much more.

The endless appreciation from Audrey’s family towards our team has been beyond me.

To know that we really are making an impact is phenomenal.

But the Rumage family deserves just as much credit.

You’ve made it this far without us.

Your faith, fight and perseverance are admirable in every way.

We aren’t just here to be Audrey’s friends.

We are here as her sisters. We are here as your family.  And family has your back every step of the way.

They pick you up when you’re pushed beyond your breaking point. But the best part of family has yet to be said.

Family is permanent. Family doesn’t go away.

Grenfell is a senior public relations and management double major and can be reached at carly.grenfell@drake.edu