Road warriors: Drake chalks up pair of wins

File photo

After splitting its first two matches of the season, Drake headed to the Roger Knapp Tennis Center to begin its home campaign.

The Bulldogs quickly improved their season record to 3-1 with victories over Northern Illinois and Southern Illinois at Edwardsville.

Drake got out to a quick start in the first match against the Huskies at the No. 1 doubles position. Senior Gabby Demos and junior Manca Krizman earned an 8-5 victory over Sarah McLaughlin and Emily Rogers. The victory also moved Demos into the top 10 for the most career doubles victories at Drake.

Drake extended its early lead to 3-0 after getting singles victories from Krizman and senior Jessica Aguilera at the No. 2 and No. 6 positions, respectively. The deficit was cut to 3-1 with a Northern Illinois victory at the No. 5 position. Demos got Drake back in the win column with a three-set victory at the No. 3 position. Sophomore Klavdija Rebol also earned a singles victory at the No. 1 position, laying the dagger on the Huskies.

Drake continued its home opener against SIU Edwardsville on Saturday night. The second victory came a bit easier, as the Bulldogs posted a 6-1 win over the Cougars. Drake swept the doubles competition thanks to the tandem of Aguilera and Rebol, who earned an 8-1 victory over Amanda Miller and Laura Horning. Drake kept rolling in the singles competition, taking five of the six matches from the Cougars. Drake took on South Dakota yesterday at the Roger Knapp Tennis Center and will end its first home stand on Friday against North Dakota at 6 p.m.