Playoff intramurals set to kick-off in outdoor soccer, flag football

Bosco is a senior English and secondary education major and can be contacted at haley.bosco@drake.edu

The playoffs for intramurals in flag football and outdoor soccer have commenced this week, and every player who has signed up online is raring to go. For those of you who have shown up or will be showing up only to realize your name is not printed on the score sheet, the supervisors will undoubtedly be the bearers of bad news that day. From week to week, the intramurals staff has stressed the importance of confirming your position on the intramurals website, imleagues.com, as we are genuinely pulling for your full eligibility. Come playoffs, however, we hope you have not had a rude awakening in your minor lack of paying attention.

In light of the outdoor sports’ first week of playoffs, I will present you with my moderately-notorious predictions of the flag football league. Players in this league always seem to either be inspired by their favorite professional or college team at this time of year, or they seem to be simply absent because they would rather watch that team play real football during their scheduled intramurals game.

Until next time, please play by the rules.

Men’s A League

Champ: FIJI

Team record: 1-1-1

With its only loss against an unbeaten SigEp team and a tie against a strong PIKE squad, FIJI has shown a sufficient amount of dedication to earn a spot in the championship game. If this team can get to bed early and eat an extra bowl of Wheaties in the morning, I will be placing my money on black.

Almost Winners: SigEp

Team record: 4-0

The undefeated record is intimidating, but I see these guys falling just short in a championship game against FIJI. After a one-point loss two weeks ago, FIJI will come back determined to balance out the bragging rights on Greek Street. Nonetheless, this SigEp team has fought hard and prepared adequately enough to earn bye in the first round. I guarantee the team will take the week off to run routes and condition with a full squad.

Potential sleeper: PIKE

The first round of the playoffs for this division is played on Sunday at 4 p.m.

Men’s B League

Champ: Age Trumps Skill

Team record: 3-0

This team won all of its games by actually playing and putting points on the board. Its ability to score over 25 points in each of its games shows the team’s capacity to win. The toughest opponents this team will face are the third-ranked Flutie Pebbles and whoever ends up facing it in a championship match.

Almost Winners: Vick in a Box

Team record: 3-1

I have trouble giving this team recognition due to its multiple pejorative references. However, with a potential win against Please Don’t Fine Me in the semifinals, I can see this team making it to the final game.

Potential sleeper: Flutie Pebbles

The first round of the playoffs for this division is played this Sunday at 1, 2 and 3 p.m.

Women’s League

Champ: Mice Catchers

Team record: 4-0

These girls defeated a few strong teams in the games that were actually played this season, and they earned a bye straight into the semifinals. All the girls’ teams this year seemed to enjoy their time playing an actual season of flag football and not some one-time, sponsored event of “powderpuff.” Give all the teams a pat on the back this season for coming out to play.

Almost Winners: Delta Gamma

Team record: 2-1

This sorority has always been athletic, and I see the girls’ collective pride getting them to the championship game. Look for a close game between these girls and Mice Catchers in a few weeks.

Potential sleeper: Back That Pass Up

The first round of playoffs for this division began yesterday, and the postseason will continue for the next two Wednesdays.