Renner resigns as provost effective May 31

Provost Michael J. Renner will resign as provost.

In an email to faculty and staff Tuesday night, he announced his last day as provost will be May 31, but he will continue as a professor in the Biology and Psychology departments.

In the email, Renner states, “In my recent conversations with the President, it has become clear that our respective leadership philosophies differ in important ways.”

He also said it has been a privilege to serve this institution as provost.

In another email to faculty and staff, President David Maxwell said he is “appreciative of his commitment and service to the University over the past two years.” He also said a national search for Renner’s successor will be conducted.

A university spokeswoman said Renner’s resignation as provost is in no way related to the alleged embezzlement of more than $470,000 from the university, which was disclosed late last week.

Robert Alex Harlan, former director of student account services of the Business and Finance Division, was charged with five counts of first-degree theft.

“Those are two entirely different divisions,” said Debra Lukehart, executive director of marketing and communications at Drake. “There’s no reason to believe the two are connected.”