Physics students’ event helps solve the puzzle

Photo: Connor McCourtney

The Society of Physics Students is inviting Rubik’s Cube experts and amateurs alike to its event from 4 to 7 p.m. on Thursday in the Olmsted Breezeway.

The group is hosting The Rubik’s Workshop in an effort to become more visible on campus, said Secretary and Treasurer Mikayla Seeber.

“It’s really just to get Society of Physics Students’ name out there,” she said.

Three different stations will be set up that students can participate in. At one, called “Lube Your Cube,” participants who bring their own cubes can take them apart and apply a silicone spray to the parts for improved handling.

“It just makes it all the more efficient so you can solve it quicker,” Seeber said.

At another station, members will help attendees learn how to solve the cube. If that gets to be a little too frustrating, Seeber said, they’ll also be demonstrating how to form patterns, which is a lot easier and a lot quicker.

The third station will feature timed competitions for varying levels of cube mastery. Beginners will be judged on how much of the cube they can complete during a specified allotment of time and advanced cube solvers will race to see who can solve the entire puzzle the fastest. Winners of both competitions will receive Rubik’s Cube T-shirts.

A few members of the Society already knew how to solve the cube, Seeber said, but more had to be taught to help out at the event.

“We had a meeting about it, so we all sort of got the basics down,” she said. The members who aren’t puzzle-solving tutors will be timing competitions, helping attendees take apart and put together cubes at the “Lube Your Cube “station and assisting in other ways.

Seeber said she hopes the evening will help promote the group and garner a decent turnout.

“We have not been active on campus at all this year,” she said. “So we just wanted to do something fun for everyone.”