BREAKING: Possible misappropriation of University funds

Victoria Payseur, Drake University vice president for business and finance, sent faculty, staff and students an email Wednesday afternoon regarding the results of a recent internal investigation in the Cashier’s Office. According to the email, the results of the investigation suggested “accounting records had been manipulated to allow institutional funds to be converted to an employee’s personal use.”

According to the email, the employee is no longer employed by the University.

The email reads as follows:

“A recent internal investigation in the Cashier’s Office suggested certain University accounting records had been manipulated to allow institutional funds to be converted to an employee’s personal use. This individual is no longer employed by the University. The matter has been turned over to law enforcement.

There is no indication from the investigation that personal information or financial transactions of students, faculty or staff have been compromised. Additional procedures are being implemented to guard against the circumvention of those internal controls the University has had in place to prevent the misappropriation of funds.

Since the situation is part of a criminal investigation, any requests for additional information should be made to the Des Moines Police Department. Should you be contacted about this case, please refer the person making the inquiry to police spokesman Chris Scott at 515-283-4084.

Drake University’s faculty and staff are expected to employ fair and ethical principles, practices and conduct in all business and academic relationships. Employees are always encouraged to express any concerns to their supervisors. However, in cases where the normal channels do not seem appropriate, employees should take advantage of the anonymous EthicsPoint e-mail and hotline at 877-295-7940. EthicsPoint has been contracted on behalf of the University to manage a confidential hotline, which provides an anonymous way for faculty and staff to report situations that may represent financial misconduct or violations of local, state or federal law or University policies. More information about EthicsPoint is posted at https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/24191/index.html”

Check back for updates as this story progresses.