Window Painting

Homecoming week is blasting off here at Drake University. This year it started off with the “Blast Off Lunch” at Hubbell Dining Hall on Saturday, and continued on with the win­dow painting at Meredith Hall and powder puff football game on Sunday.

Homecoming co-chairs Ashley Seidel and Megan Browning are both excited for this year’s homecoming celebrations and, of course, the traditional window painting at Meredith.

The process for planning homecoming week begins in the spring semester of every previous year when the homecoming commit­tee holds a brainstorming session. Once some of the final decisions are made the Student Activities Board is surveyed for their opinions of the themes. This year’s winner was “Bull­dog Blast Off.”

A tradition that started at least 10 years ago is the painting of the windows of Mer­edith Hall. Over 20 organizations have par­ticipated this year. The organizations had to come up with a rough sketch four days prior to the event and have at least one team member attend a ladder training session before they could get down to work.

“Other than that there are no other re­quirements,” Seidel said.

Greg Larson, the president of SAB, added that the paint is supplied for the organizations involved.

“I think it is really cool to just see the ideas people have go from paper to windows,” Lar­son said.

Planning for the window painting involved getting the word out to organizations and hir­ing a window cleaning company to help avoid any frustrations with the paint later on. While window painting was in full swing, the by­standers were able to watch and cheer on par­ticipants in powder puff football in Helmick Commons.

Painters from the Alpha Kapi Si business fraternity were especially excited for the op­portunity to have a window.

“It’s great – We’re a business fraternity so we get to show off our creative side,” said team member Amanda Sykora.

Two other particpants, Rachel Bump and Robin Sautter were also enjoying their time outside painting and the opportunity to shed light on their organization.

“It’s [window painting] is a good way to show what organizations are out there,” said Bump. Sautter also added that it was “beauti­ful” on campus for the event.

This year, there are a few new aspects of the homecoming celebrations. One of those is the Live Band Karaoke in Helmick Commons on Oct. 1. Live Band Karaoke is taking the place of “Yell like Hell” which had been los­ing participation from groups. Now, karaoke is a more individual event that would be a “fun event anyone can come to,” Browning said.

Along with the Live Band Karaoke, SAB is working very closely with the alumni depart­ment during the week to help with the annual fundraiser.

Browning also encourages everyone to at­tend because there will be free food and give­aways at almost all of the homecoming events.

Photos: Connor McCourtney

View Comments (1)