Man found guilty in November Drake sexual assault case

Luis Lopez, the man accused of sexually assaulting a Drake female student last November, was found guilty on March 11 of third degree charges, three days after the trial started.

Lopez’s sentencing will occur later this month, Iowa Court re­cords indicate.

On Nov. 16, 2009, The Times- Delphic reported the following:

“Police arrived at the 1200 block of 15th St. Sunday morning after a Drake University student reported she had been sexually as­saulted, according to a Des Moines police report.

“There, police arrested 39-year-old Des Moines resident Luis Lo­pez on charges of 3rd Degree Sex Abuse.

“The report stated that the 20-year-old junior was at the Dub­lin bar at 2307 University Ave. and became intoxicated.

“‘Victim does not remember anything until this morning when she awoke inside of the suspect’s vehicle with suspect on top of her,’ according to the report.

“Lopez was reportedly having sexual intercourse with the victim, who then started screaming. She was able to get out of the Lopez’s van and summon some people driv­ing by for assistance.

“Lopez left the scene, but re­turned after police arrived. He was taken into police custody and the victim was taken to the hospital.

“Lopez is being held on $10,000 bond.

“This is the second sexual as­sault reported by a Drake female student for the night of Nov. 14.”