Drake looks to continue rolling against Shockers

Column by Carly Grenfell

Your lady Bulldogs have won four straight.

This past weekend, we came home with a two-game road sweep against Evansville and Southern Illinois. Up next is the only unbeaten team in our league — Wichita State.

The timing of this game could not be any better. We are playing some of our best basketball right now. However, we have so much more left in us.

This will be a good test for us. Not only are we shooting the ball lights-out (knock on wood), but our team chemistry has been unstoppable.

Our focus for the last few games has been to bring the best YOU. Because when each of us individually is at our best, our team is at our best. Let’s just say this has been a successful approach thus far — but don’t tell anyone our secret.

Our two freshmen, Lizzy Wendell and Caitlin Ingle, have stepped up big-time to help carry our team to four straight wins. Kyndal Clark, a preseason all-conference player, has been playing incredible as well. It is obvious how much better we are with Kyndal on the floor, and she only continues to get better.

Liza Heap and Alyssa Marschner, too, have played critical roles this year. Liza is one of those quiet contributors. The work she does on the court doesn’t always get noticed. But, let me tell you that Liza Heap as a leader, given her basketball IQ, is one in a million.

Alyssa, as our senior point guard, has proved that she wants to go out with a bang. What she brought to the floor against Southern Illinois was a big reason we came out on top.

I must say that the camaraderie of our team right now feels so good. I never question whether or not our team wants the best for each other, and it is so fun to see your teammates succeed, even if you are watching from the bench. Winning feels great. We are beyond ready to keep the streak alive. See you at the Knapp Center on Friday against Wichita State! We need you there!

Grenfell is a senior public relations and management double major and can be reached at carly.grenfell@drake.edu