Purple Aces take down Bulldogs

Story by Austin Cannon

Photo by Joel Venzke

wsoccer1_joel-w2000-h2000Drake women’s soccer opened the Missouri Valley Conference portion of its schedule with a 0-1 defeat at the University of Evansville on Sunday.

The Purple Aces’ Emily Richardson netted the game’s lone goal in the 11th minute with a shot from the top of the 18-yard box that found the upper right corner of the net.

The goal snapped Drake’s two-game winning streak.

The Bulldogs bested Evansville in shots, 18-14, but none could find the back of the net. Evansville led 5-3 in shots on goal.

“This was the best we have played, yet we didn’t put their keeper under enough pressure to earn a result. We had more than a handful of excellent chances hit the crossbar, go over or go wide when we could have and should have had them on frame,” head coach Lindsey Horner said in a Drake athletics press release.

Junior Ashlie Stokes led the Bulldogs with six shots, two on goal, while freshman Rebecca Rodgers tallied four.

Senior Brittany Schuling came close to equalizing in the second half.

Both her shots, in the 54th and 55th minutes, hit the crossbar and rebounded out.

Other than the conceded goal, Horner thought her defense played well.

“There was one letdown today in which an outside back got open and hit a great strike from distance for their goal. Other than that instance, we were all over them,” Horner said.

Junior goalkeeper Andrea Swanson gathered four saves on the game, but the one goal proved to be enough for Evansville.

While it was a game Drake could have won, Horner focused on the upcoming games at home.

“I think this could be a game we look back on and know we could have come home with a point, but in terms of MVC games, we have to take care of business at Cownie (Soccer Complex),” Horner said. “We have the opportunity in the next three games to have some success at home. “

The Bulldogs (2-7-2, 0-1 MVC) return to face the Iowa State Cyclones at Cownie Soccer Complex at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

“Our next game will be challenging, but we still have our best soccer in front of us,” Horner said.