Students able to rent labels

Rent the Runway, a national website, is making its way onto the Drake University campus. Spearheaded by a campus representative team of junior Lizzy Roque, first-year Tara Williams and sophomore Morgan De Boest, Rent the Runway allows girls to rent high-fashion clothing items straight off the runway at 10 percent of the retail cost.

Rent the Runway boasts an impressive collection of formal, semi-formal, business casual, costume pieces and fun going out clothes. You shop online for clothes that fit your budget, style and occasion, order them online, receive them two days before your event and ship them back the day after. The company even sends you two different sizes to ensure that whatever you get fits.

Roque, campus manager, is in charge of getting the word out and recruiting students for her campus representative team. A member of Rent the Runway for the past few years, she was asked if she wanted to have her own recruitment team for the first time this year. She works to “provide girls on campus with deals and acts as an individual campus link.”

While Roque is recruiting, trying to build a bigger team in hopes of building a bigger client base, Williams, the public relations representative, is working on building and maintaining the company reputation on campus.

“We’re a really versatile corporation, you can use it for formals, business presentations, weddings, girls night outs. We hope to spread the word about that, and how you can use it for anything, not just formal,” Williams said.

Williams is in charge of advertising deals and promotions currently going on. In the next few weeks, Williams, Roque and De Boest will be holding their first Facebook event. They plan to take pictures of 10 to 15 girls wearing cute outfits and holding an “I LOVE RENT THE RUNWAY” sign and post the pictures on Facebook. The picture that gets the most likes receives a Rent the Runway coupon.

It’s these kinds of discounts that Williams is in charge of passing onto the students. Right now, through the month of October, plugging in the code RENTOCTOBER at checkout can save 20 percent on your order, which is especially useful for girls in need of last-minute Halloween costumes.

Rent the Runway does most of their publicity, discounts and deals through their Facebook page and Twitter account, @RTR_Drake. There are multiple deals online specific to Drake students, best accessed at renttherunway.com/drake.

View Comments (1)