Senate general elections announced, celebrated on Pomerantz Stage

Photo: Lauren Horsch

Senate candidates and their supporters gathered around Pomerantz Stage at midnight on Tuesday to get the big news on the big election. Ten senators ran for nine at-large positions.

Napoleon Douglas took over 700 votes — the most of any candidate. Zach Keller was close behind with 616. Stephen Slade managed 598, while Joey Gale garnered a sound 577. Rounding out the bottom half were Emily Grimm, Ekta Haria, Michael Riebel, Natalie Larson and Breanna Thompson — the sleeper candidate campaigning from abroad this semester.

But perhaps just as many people arrived at the election results hoping for a reveal from faux-candidate Chad Stephens. While the mystery man’s Twitter feed was active in the moments leading up to the closing of the polls, he remained silent past midnight. His posts included a Foursquare check-in at Pomerantz Stage and a mysterious video splicing cuts from the film “The Dark Knight” with footage of what appears to be the man from the photos walking down Greek Street on a rainy day and “Vote Chad Stephens” papers flying off the press. “The Dark Knight” clips conveyed the message that he is perhaps the senator we need, but not the one we deserve right now.

All told, Stephens managed a paltry 206 votes, pacing only Drake Squirrel who managed 174.

Election night results

Senators-at-Large

• Napoleon Douglas — 772 votes
    • Zach Keller — 616
    • Stephen Slade — 598
    • Joey Gale — 577
    • Emily Grimm — 551
    • Ekta Haria — 544
    • Michael Riebel — 544
    • Natalie Larson — 450
    • Breanna Thompson — 449
    • Taylor Crow — 404
    • Julianne Klampe (write-in) — 227

Academic Senators

• Dan Pfeifle — 285 (Arts & Sciences)
    • Ethan Gascho — 185 (CBPA)
    • Josh Abbott — 71 (Education)
    • Michael Terrell — 143 (Fine Arts)
    • Rebecca Mataloni — 44 (SJMC)
    • Natalie Gadbois — 159 (CPHS)

Diversity Senators

• James Ley — 679

View Comments (2)