Around the Table: 10/10/11

Student Senate passed two bylaw amendments last Thursday night that will clarify committee membership and the upcoming First-Year Senator election.

Both the Committee Membership Clarification Bylaw Amendment and the Fall Certified Election Rules Amendment passed unanimously.

Vice President of Student Life Matt Van Hoeck explained that the committee membership clarification would do two things.

“First, it changes the amount of students on each committee to a range of students,” Van Hoeck said. “The second thing the motion does is rearrange the bylaws to make it more clear who is a member of the committees.”

Van Hoeck said changing the number of students on each committee would also give Student Senate more flexibility to create the best committees they can.

The election rules amendment will allow for First-Year Senator petitions to be available for pick-up one week prior to the campaigning week. First-Year Senator petitions will be available Oct. 17-19.

Election Commission co-chairs Jessie Hill and Stephen Larson were also appointed at that time.

Last Thursday’s meeting also marked the official beginning for two new campus organizations. The Ping Pong Club and the Ballroom Dancing Club both passed unanimously.

The Outdoor Leadership Club also received funding for a kayaking trip in the Ozarks over Fall Break.

In senator reports, Grounds and Buildings Liaison Michael Riebel reported that the Lower Olmsted exercise facility is scheduled to be open to students on Jan. 18.

Education Senator Carly Hamilton and Arts and Sciences Senator Kayleigh Koester announced that their respective schools would each be forming student advisory boards.

Koester ended the meeting by leading a lengthy discussion on J-Term residence life issues. Koester also made it clear that students taking a J-Term course would not incur any further tuition costs, nor would they be required to complete more credits for graduation.

Faculty Senate is moving forward with the creation of a J-Term and should begin planning courses next week.

First-Year Senator Important Dates:

Petitions available – Oct. 19

Petitions due – Oct. 21

Mandatory meeting – Oct. 22

Campaigning starts – Oct. 23

View Comments (1)