Students share their memories of Sept. 11, 2001

“All [through] morning classes we watched the news and were glued to the TV, shocked and wondering who would do such a thing. When the Pentagon got hit, we were all worried the White House or the Capitol would be hit.”
-Nathaniel Jacobs, Junior

“When I first heard about it, I thought it was a movie stunt gone wrong.  I realized it was not an accident when the second plane hit.  It took me a while to accept that such an act could be intentional.”
-Michaela Stephan, P2

“More than anything, I remember feeling scared, confused and uncertain.  It seemed like the whole world stood still and was glued to their TV.”
-Ryan Price, Junior

“I was only nine, so I don’t remember much but I remember not knowing what was going on when I woke up for school—I had a bad feeling.   I remember watching the news in all my morning classes and being scared while not knowing how to react.”
-Jayme Shelby, Sophomore

“Now that I look back on it, I wish that adults would have explained not just what had happened but why it happened.  It is so important that we understand why it happened and the history behind it and what it means for American foreign policy.”
-Melissa Holle, Junior

“My friends and I were really panicking when we heard about the attacks.  My cousin should have been on one of the flights that went into the World Trade Center but slept through his alarm, missing the flight.”
-Rachel Cutler, Junior

“What does this day mean to me? It is a stoic reminder that I am blessed, to never let a day pass without telling the people in my life how much they mean to me, and to never let ignorance guide my actions. May those who lost their lives rest in eternal peace—make them proud!”
Anna Limbrick, Senior

“After the 9/11 attacks there was a sense of unity and higher purpose. Petty issues were set aside as the American people banded together. It was as if people lost their categorization as Republican or Democrat—people were no longer from a state; they were from the United States.”
-Michael Rohl, Junior