STORY BY SHELBY JENSEN
College kids work hard. Classes, homework, extracurriculars, friends, the list goes on. It’s easy to be overwhelmed with everything and start to feel absolutely gross. Once in a while, you have to step back, acknowledge the fact that you climb 15 flights of stairs every day, and treat yourself. And when you do, it should be with something so mind-numbingly delicious that you forget how to speak. I’m proud to announce that I have found this treat, a salty, chocolatey, nutty concoction that can only be described with a single word: yes.
I was on my newly created Pinterest account, searching hungrily for something to write about this week, when I stumbled across what sounded like absolute heaven. Popcorn with Reese’s peanut butter cups, Reese’s pieces, and two different kinds of chocolate. TWO. I obviously had to make it, and was not disappointed.
This popcorn is pretty much heaven. All the flavors worked together in ways that only chocolate and peanut butter can. There was white chocolate on pretty much every piece of popcorn, and the Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups were nice surprises. I fell in love immediately. Roommate was at a loss for words and mumbled something that sounded like a John Green quote. Yes, this is THAT good. The only issue is that it’s a bit messy and I have chocolate on my keyboard at the moment. Don’t eat this while typing a paper, in other words. Any other time, it is highly recommended.
The recipe makes a lot, and Roommate and I were only able to finish about half before we got full. This is popcorn, after all, which contains fiber. (So it’s basically health food.) It did take about 20 minutes to make, but I did everything right from my dorm.
It should be noted that I changed a bit to make this recipe dorm-friendly. It was easier to mix everything in a gallon-sized plastic bag than in a bowl. I left out the Puffs because I just don’t like ‘em. And I didn’t have any sort of chocolate or peanut butter chips, so I melted two Cookies and Cream bars for the white chocolate and a normal Hershey bar for the chocolate chips. Not exactly classy, but it worked! I also used regular peanut butter, meaning everything
I needed was available in the C-Store. However, if you have the chocolate and peanut butter chips, use those. My other note is that shortening is important, so don’t skip it. It’s what makes the chocolates runny enough to drizzle.
If you have a microwave and no peanut allergy, you need to make this. It’s really that simple.
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 1 bag unwrapped mini Reese’s cups, cut in half
- 1 cup Reese’s Puff cereal
- 1 cup Reese’s Pieces
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Mix popcorn, Reese’s cups and cereal in a large pan lined with waxed paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine white chocolate chips and one teaspoon shortening. Heat for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until melted. Drizzle the popcorn mixture with melted white chocolate and toss until everything is coated. Sprinkle with the Reese’s Pieces.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator and let set for about five minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and break into chunks.
- In another microwave safe bowl, combine the peanut butter chips and 1/2 teaspoon shortening. Heat until melted. Do the same for the chocolate chips. Drizzle the popcorn chunks with the melted peanut butter and chocolate chips. Let it set again. Store in an airtight container.