Grenfell is a junior public relations and management double major and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not going to lie, if I’m ever suffering from a dose of writer’s block, a countdown is always the perfect remedy. Today I will reveal the best parts about Drake women’s basketball. I could go on for days, but a Top-10 will have to suffice for now.
1. Hubbell: Yes, you read that right, Hubbell made the list. After a long practice or morning in the weight room, it is always there to save the day. There is something about a big glass of chocolate milk and a top-notch ham and cheese omelet that has us running back for more. That’s a lot to offer for 13 girls that just burned a couple thousand calories (give or take a few).
2. The wardrobe: And by that I’m don’t necessarily mean the clothes that we get. But more so the fact that we can wear athletic shorts and a T-shirt everyday of the week and it is perfectly acceptable. Don’t be fooled if you see any of us wearing the same thing two days in a row. Duplicate shorts and t-shirts of the same design are lifesavers, trust and believe. Most of our day is on the go!
3. Photo shoots: It may be hard to believe that we do enjoy getting dressed up on occasion. We are just like most girls in that sense. Along with that, putting that uniform on for the first time since the previous season is something else. SAY CHEESE!
4. The label: But not the type of label you are thinking. I’m not here to boast about playing college basketball. Rather I’m here to express that there is absolutely no better university to associate with than Drake University. It truly is a special place both academically and athletically. You don’t find what we have to offer here everywhere you go.
5. The family environment: When you’re with your teammates and coaches so many months out of the year, it is hard not to develop relationships with them. It is one of the coolest things to experience, especially with people who are all here for the same reason, and share the same passion and interests that you do. They offer the type of relationships that will last a lifetime.
6. The community: Not only is the Drake community irreplaceable, but along with that comes the city of Des Moines. I could see myself raising a family here, and that is saying a lot. There is no doubt in my mind that the people here are more genuine and supportive than anywhere else.
7. The fans: If the fans go, we go. I don’t know a better way to say it than that. We have THE best fans in the Valley. They truly are our sixth man. The loyalty demonstrated by them year in and year out is unbelievable. Win, lose, snow storm or sunshine, they are there, Drake gear and all.
8. Tourney time: What better time of the year than the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament? It’s our time to shine! Ultimately it is what the season comes down to and who will rise to the occasion. Crazy parents in the stands, the band sending us off, fans that made the haul to cheer us on and Spike and his crazy self all make for a one-of-a-kind experience.
9. The opportunity: Even through the losses and rough practices, you can never lose sight of how great of an opportunity it is to play Division I basketball for a school like Drake. We aren’t entitled to anything by playing basketball here. We have a duty to serve our university with the greatest sense of pride and dignity we possibly can. If you ask me, that is a pretty cool thing!
Drum roll please…
10. Playing in the Knapp Center: That place is electric come game day. As I mentioned before, our fans are incredible. I struggle even putting it into words. But being able to play in front of so many people is one of the greatest feelings in the world as an athlete! It’s where we put in hours beyond hours of practice, and in the end are rewarded with such an awesome game day environment.