It’s those moments where the perfect guy walks up, or your boss finally notices you, or a longtime-no-see friend from high school wants to do lunch that you have absolutely nothing to do a touch-up with. The often forgotten essentials can make all the difference. Carry this emergency beauty kit in a big purse, travel carry-on, or stash in the glove box, for your unexpected chance to shine.
1) Facial moisturizer — Winter is here and you need to keep that dry flaky skin from falling off the next time you’re face-to-face with a potential love interest. Since harmful sunrays still strike (and are sometimes stronger) in the cold, get one with at least a 15 SPF.
Try Total Effects Fragrance-Free UV Moisturizer with SPF 15, $15
2) Lip balm — Mmm crusty lips. Tinted lip balm can be sketchy depending on the rest of your makeup, go with a simple, classic balm for a touch of moisture to layer under lipstick if so desired.
Try Burt’s Bees Honey Lip Balm, $3
3) Tissues — Always keep a travel pack around. Use for lipstick smears, mascara blots and runny noses. Hit the local boutique to snag cute or humorous designer prints.
Try Classy & Fabulous Pocket Tissues, $1.95
4) Dry shampoo — It’s like showering…with no water. Save your hair from oil and odor with that little bit of extra oomph.
Try Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo 5.7 oz, $5.39
5) Lash curler — Already mascara swiped lashes don’t need more gunk, they just need more lift. Curl quickly to make your eyes open for a wide, alert look.
Try Sally Hansen Sexy Curls, $5.44
6) Travel toothbrush — Garlic at lunch was an awful idea. Swipe with a fresh mint taste so you can smile bright and actually speak face-to-face with people. More refined than mints and gum that can look tacky.
Try Colgate Wisp in Spearmint, $8 for 16
7) Band-Aids — You never know when those heels or snow boots might start rubbing your heels the wrong way. No one will see them, so splurge on the cartoon characters!
Try Hello Kitty Band-Aid, $2.54 a carton
8) Tweezers — Eek! There is one large, dark, brown hair between your eyebrows…and is that a grey hair? Pluck it. Stash a colorful pair so everyone is so distracted by your cuteness they miss you pulling off that awful hangnail.
Try Tweezerman Tweezerette Tweezers, $5.20
9) Mirror compact — For a fresh face, always keep a compact mirror with the right color of foundation. It’s safe to stick with a lighter color of powder — avoid the orange!
Try Sephora Mineral Foundation Compact, $22
10) Lint roller — We love Fluffy too, but your LBD doesn’t. Yes, you’ll feel like your mother, but it’s worth the quick roll down to not look like Chewbacca.
Try Scotch Mini Lint Roller, $2.30