Swain is a junior marketing and writing double major and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ladies, you can make it through football season alive. I am living proof of a girl who makes it through, somehow. While some girls truly love watching football, I am not one of them. Here are my top ways to make it through football season if you hate the wretched sport half as much as I do.
1. Appreciate friendships. It took me many football games to realize how lucky I am that people even want me to watch football games with them. I am sure your guy would love nothing more than for you to sit next to him so he can enjoy your company. Sure you may think he doesn’t notice you there, but he appreciates you doing something he loves.
2. Make yourself useful at games. I love being the person who gets others’ drinks, who makes sure everyone has whatever they need, and who makes sure to stay out of the way of the TV. You will be everyone’s best friend if you can keep them from having to get up even once during the game.
3. Learn more about the game. Only ask questions to non-hardcore football fans. Those who are sucked into the game will be annoyed if you ask them questions; while those just there for fun will be happy you turned to them for football knowledge.
4. While you’re at it, suit up. Maybe you can make the day fun by dressing for the occasion. Who knows, maybe this will be what makes you get into the sport?
5. Root for the teams everyone likes. It is so much easier to root for a team others like than to oppose those people and have to find a way to explain why you like that team. You don’t really care that much anyway, do you?
6. Cook for the event. I love making dips or dessert for times when my guy has friends over at his place. I feel wanted by supplying the much-needed food for the events.
7. If you are watching on TV, bring something else to do. My favorites are to read, do homework, and eat. That way, you are “watching the game” and being productive.
8. If you are at a football game, bring others along who are not die-hard fans. You can create some chit-chat in between plays and enjoy each others’ company.
The bottom line: Make football season fun. You don’t have to miss out on the parties and get-togethers just because you don’t like the sport. Make the most of it by finding creative ways to enjoy the games.