Opinion

A letter to welcome Rep. Bachmann

1. Lori says:

Your letter was amazing. You managed to be respectful and yet address all the things that I find offensive about Michele Bachmann and her kind. Unfortunately, she is not alone in her beliefs.
    I already have a son at Drake University who I am very proud of. And I hope your parents realize what a wonderful young man you are, and what a promising future awaits you.
    Thank you.

2. Matteo says:

Hey Ryan,

Great letter, and good message. I would encourage you and the rest of the Times Delphic staff to continue to produce these throughout the caucus and election seasons.

I’m wondering if you could tap into the large community of science students and faculty on campus to produce a similar letter introducing dialogue about the facts on global warming, homosexuality and the brain, and various other topics in the political arena. I’ve often observed Michele Bachmann and other politicians oversimplify incredibly complex phenomena and vast amounts of unknown and little understood areas on multiple issues. Much like someone trying to oversimplify tax code to Michele Bachmann.

Have a great semester.

3. Norah Carroll says:

This is great, Ryan. Eloquent, engaging and poignant. Nice work.

4. Tasha says:

Ryan, great article! Not only was it very well written, but the topics you chose to discuss were very relevant and thought-provoking. Thanks for taking the time to try to enlighten Michele and others who are so shockingly single minded.

5. Shelly says:

This is an extremely well-written piece. Thanks for sharing.

6. Madi says:

Well put, Ryan. I have such a hard time with seeing the way some of these issues are treated, especially some of the people who support such candidates, saying things like “America was founded on Christianity, so we need to vote for whoever will uphold Christian rights.” I have heard that more than once, and can’t even begin to describe how wrong it is.

Thanks for your insight, and I hope Bachmann read it.

7. Matt says:

Very well-written, Ryan. Your columns continue to impress us alumni.

8. Dan says:

Ryan, this was a great article. While other articles (the Des Moines Register) made the story sound as though the students of Drake were attacking Bachmann, you reminded us that we are an open-minded campus of unique views and beliefs. I sincerely hope that Rep. Bachmann can read this.

9. Haley says:

Well written, Ryan.

10. Perry says:

Great job as always Ryan! Keep up the great work at Drake.