Opinion

Sexuality in music overshadows fine-tuned lyrics

1. Nicole says:

I just have to say – I completely agree. Maybe if more opinions get to the forefront about NOT liking these lyrics, more artists will think twice about what they release onto the airwaves.

2. Stella says:

This is not only a ridiculous, self-aggrandizing diatribe, it’s a poor piece of journalism.

If the 70s and 80s were such wholesome times, how did they produce such sexualized and successful artists like Madonna and Prince?

You cite the Beatles as an example of wholesomeness, but they wrote numerous songs about drugs and sex and violence. “Run for Your Life,” from 1965, includes the lyrics “I’d rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man.” Comparatively, Katy Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl” is harmless.

Your selective views of history, manipulated in order to support your flimsy argument, ultimately destroys any credibility your opinion might have had.

3. Kat says:

Did you do any research before you wrote this? Sexuality in music has been an issue for decades. There was a congressional hearing in 1985 solely for that reason. A few people (led by Tipper Gore) wanted records to have warning labels about their content (both sexual and violent). It drew national attention for several years and outraged many citizens and artists. I agree that there’s a lot of sexuality in popular music today, but don’t try to say it’s a new thing–because it’s not.

4. Stella says:

Re: “Just My Imagination,” by The Temptations: An elaborate fantasy (complete with mentions of imaginary children) that ends with “but in reality, she doesn’t even know me,” strikes me as somewhat stalker-ish or voyeuristic, but that’s just me.

5. Blake says:

No wonder why there are so many issue involving sex today???

Please, educate me, what are the “issues”? Why is “sexuality” an issue? If you’re going to talk about anything with music today why don’t you talk about misogyny or violence? I love the way you lie.

6. Jackson says:

I feel like the writer is missing the idea that the music just represents the society that it is written in. Look at Eminem’s Love The Way You Lie and how that situation would not have really happened, or at least have been acknowledged in the 1960’s. Our society has just changed over the past few decades as it has become more open and I feel like the writer has missed that fact

7. sunnylady says:

With all due respect, you mean you don’t know what the songs of the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, etc were REALLY saying???? from the 50s, for example, “Wake Up, Little Suzy” and “Hot Diggity Dog”. Just because the language was more nuanced does not mean that the content was less “innocent”!!!